kfan

Brian K. Vaughan, Tony Harris
The World Without Us
Alan Weisman

The Jams (1992)

The Jams (1992) - Ken Quemuel I've been listening to @siik's music for years and his passion for 90's R&B is infectious, so I was REALLY EXCITED when I found out he had made a book about it.

This is a compilation of memories that people shared on YouTube in the comments for each video on the Billboard Hot 100 chart from 1992. The comments collected here are very carefully curated--he had to dig through to find the comments from those moments when the songs were fresh, not memories from hearing the songs later. The texts are hilarious in the way that YouTube comments usually are, but also oddly affecting--what else besides powerful emotions would push people to share their memories in this way, dropping them into the void like an online wake for each song.

Songs like "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" or "2 Legit 2 Quit", might be dismissed as punchlines, but the songs matter, and the memories from those times matter. The specificity of the memories is what makes them so powerful. Moments that you will always remember, the songs that form the soundtrack for you life, whether you realize it or not. And "End of the Road", forget about it.

A celebration of music & life. I love it.