kfan

Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days
Brian K. Vaughan, Tony Harris
The World Without Us
Alan Weisman
Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper - Kazu Kibuishi Good yarn, quick read. Gorgeous art. I was hoping to be able to read it with my 5-year-old, but it's probably best for a slightly-older audience, what with the Dad dying horribly on page 1, and then the mom getting eaten by the land squid on page 2. And we're off!

The story moves along fairly briskly, and kind of glosses over some of the stuff I'd be interested in lingering over (Robotic stuffed bunny rabbit who drives an automech suit? Can we talk about that a little bit?). But I get that there're dramatic exigencies, what with the need to rescue mom and everything.

Also the story uses two plot devices which are near and dear to me: the old house with the secret and/or magic rooms, and the young girl gaining super powers. The first one is handled well, the second was not quite to my taste: Em seemed to just totally get how to use her newfound powers right away, and I like there to be a struggle as the hero learns self-control. It's a metaphor, you know?

But that's minor. I enjoyed it and will read the next volume.