I don't even know what to say, my love for this book is so immense. It says 5 up there, but it's a solid 8 stars.
Read the description of the book up above, if it sounds like something you would like, then it probably is. I don't want to say anything else about it here because I will gush and cause spoilers to happen.
For me this book was a master class in How To Tell A Big Story. So here are my notes-to-self:
* There are over 200 chapters, but something amazing happens in almost every single one.
* The chapters are almost uniformly the same size, and it's the perfect length. It feels like this was a conscious decision. A grand novel, fed to the reader in blog post-sized chapters. Very smart.
* There are tons of characters in this book, but you always know where they are in the story and what part of their missions/journeys they're on.
* All of the various side plots and goings-on are totally interesting. There was no one thread that I was dreading the return of or anything.
* Great, great fight scenes.
* Hilarious! A+ for very smart & witty situations. Malveria especially. Possibly one of my favorite characters of all time.
* Good dialogue, esp how he breaks the talkiness up with things characters wonder aloud or to themselves.
I will now go back to writing my list of who I think should play the various characters in my dream movie version. Kat Dennings as Agrivex, RIGHT?