kfan

Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days
Brian K. Vaughan, Tony Harris
The World Without Us
Alan Weisman
Angel Bait: Book 1 of the Angel Assassins Series - Tricia Skinner This was really fun. I've known Tricia for years and years but this was the first time I ever got to read something she wrote, and it was such a thrill to see a friend totally on top of her game, kicking so much ass. It's not even fair to mention this in a book review but if you ever meet Tricia in person you'll see how much of her voice and character and passion are in this book. Seeing how much of herself she put into this book was an extra layer of fun for me.

The plot concerns group of half-angel assassins, and the reporter they are trying to find and protect before a renegade angel and his vampire henchman get to her. It sounds complicated, but it's not really. The pieces click together and the plot hums along. It's a solid read and hits all the notes it's supposed to.

Like most of the people reviewing the book here, I had not read a lot of paranormal romance before this but I was not super scandalized by the sex. QUITE THE OPPOSITE.

There were a few places where I wanted pieces of the background filled in a little more (why is Heaven more like an evil corporation than a bunch of angels and fluffy clouds; why do the half-angels all have super powers (and different super powers at that); why are we in a world with angels, half-angels, vampires, AND werewolves AND shapshifters? (feels kinda crowded?), but this is the first in a series, so I presume we'll get more info as the series progresses. Looking forward to it.