kfan

Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days
Brian K. Vaughan, Tony Harris
The World Without Us
Alan Weisman

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (updated edition)

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (updated edition) - Anthony Bourdain I read the Kindle version, and there were a few annoying things about the formatting (periods in the middles of sentences, clauses missing an em dash), that I presume are artifacts of the automated e-book-ification process, and aren't a problem in the actual book.

BUT there were also a few annoying things that technically *were* problems in the actual book--phrases like "the mental rolodex he kept in his head" made me wonder if they even let an editor near this manuscript. It's clearly a set of essays pasted together, but a little ironing might have made the biographical elements more cohesive. He jumps around a lot; he'll say something about one job that he then contradicts later; he keeps calling back names like I'm supposed to be able to remember who he's talking about. It's harder than it should, in a book like this, to get a clear sense of how he got to where he is today. And--the thing I also dislike about his show--he has this tendency towards sentimental philosophy, far beyond the requirements of the scene ("Everything else is just noise. Isn't it?" Uh, I guess?).

BUT BASICALLY WHO CARES. The dude spins a killer story and I can't remember the last time I raced through a book this quickly. He made me even more psyched about food and eating then I already am. Interestingly (to me),I looked up the menu at Les Halles and it didn't sound like anywhere I'd make a point of eating the next time I'm in New York, but he described a lot of other dishes and restaurants I would be excited to try. Dude loves food, which I can get behind, and gave me a better appreciation of what goes on in a kitchen.

Another annoying thing worth nothing: in the About the Author section, there's one paragraph about Bourdain, and then three about the font. COME ON.